Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Non-Kobayashi approved hot dogs

Many people know of Takeru Kobayashi, the world famous speed eater whom last year consumed 53¾ of Nathan's hot dogs in 12 minutes. We recently learned that Thit Cho, the Vietnamese translation for hot dog, is a very different thing.

If you can figure out where this is going, and you happen to have (or had) a pet dog, I recommend you stop reading.

Yes, in Northern Vietnam, it is not unusual to eat dog; we saw plenty of restaurants advertising this "food". From what we understand, back in the day, there was very little meat in the area, and people ate dog meat in order to get their protein. Some acquired a taste for it, and continue eating it (preparation styles include fried, boiled, and minced). Some (I suspect most) Vietnamese are absolutely turned off by this practice; however, the country has no "humane society" that prevents it from occuring. Also, there appears to be a clear deliniation between "pet dogs" and "dogs raised for consumption".

Having said all that, after learning what we did, Marie and I have eaten nothing but noodles and vegetables.

2 comments:

Marie said...

One correction: Thit Cho actually stands for dog meat and not hot dog as mentioned here. Well, all in all, it's still dog and still needs to be avoided.

Autumn said...

Good for you! I don't think I would have been able to bring myself to eating any type of meat there either. But have you seen any other "unusual" foods, like monkey brains or anything? You guys are very adventurous, I'm pretty sure I would come home a LOT skinnier than I would have left for lack of choices I would be familiar with ;-)